Fighting the 1% War: Drones and Distance

A fantastic piece written by William Astore over at TomDispatch discusses the age of the ‘1% war’: a war ‘of choice‘ that only affects around one percent of the population: namely those profiting in the military-industrial complex and those serving in the military. The other 99 percent simply have no stake in this new and nebulous permanent war, one waged by robotic drones in the borderlands of the planet. This has the effect of creating two geographic and imaginary distances: between drone pilots and their targets, and between the US military servicemen and the US public.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Opinions and Commentary and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s